Saturday, February 23, 2008

will she see beauty?

Don't we all struggle with self-image? While I was working in youth ministry, I heard countless girls saying "I'm fat" or saying "I'm just not perfect". These girls are 12, 13, 14 years old. I even hear statements like this from the women in my life today. We're are immersed in a world where we see (on tv, in magazines, on the web) images of skinny, beautiful girls. Did you know that the images you see in magazines and on billboards are digitally altered? The arms are made to look thinner. The hips are made to look smaller. The skin is made to look perfect. It makes me want to scream.

Beauty isn't just skinny. Beauty isn't perfect skin. Beauty is you. Beauty is me. Beauty is my daughter. I want Sarah to have confidence in herself, as God made her. I have to model it for her. I have to have confidence in myself, as God made me. If she sees me looking in the mirror, frowning and squeezing the places I think are fat... she'll learn to do that. I am taking part in a club called "I see beauty". You can learn about it here...






Today when you look in the mirror... see how beautiful you are. Today.

blessings, evan

No comments: